Review on An Abundance of Katherines

Let me start off by saying that this is my first John Green book. I started with this one because I felt this was one I wouldn't start bawling in the middle of, such as with The Fault in Our Stars (which I'm told is amazing but ends semi-sadly and has death and such involved.) Yes, I'm a wimp, because I like happy endings, so I decided to stick with one that didn't sound like it was going to make me cry. Here it is:
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
The blurb:
 When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles away from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his tail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, average Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to go to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.
Age: 12 years and up
Review: 3.5 stars
Before all you John Green-loving readers out there stone me, I quickly want to say that I think John Green himself is an amazing person full of great ideas and a great personality. That being said, this book didn't draw me in. I wasn't fully immersed in the book. Yeah, it's a good story, but it didn't have "umph." I wasn't frantically reading the pages and wondering what was going to happen next.
Now, I also wasn't didn't this book or get annoyed with it. It was a good book. I liked it. I just didn't love it. It was ok. If you see to the right, there is a rating scale, where three stars equal "good."
I don't have a lot of reasons as to why this book didn't draw me in. Maybe it just isn't my type of book. Or maybe this story was made for a younger audience. I really don't know—it just didn't suck me in.
However, I liked the characters. Colin was funny and I liked that he had an internal conflict and I liked his personality. I liked Hassan and how he had an "eureka" moment at the end. And I liked Lindsey.
This book wasn't at all bad. I would never say it was horrible or anything below "ok." But in my honest opinion, it wasn't great.
What I did really like were all the hilarious footnotes (plus the fun facts!) and the "math-laden appendix," as John Green calls it.
I won't really go for more John Green books (as of now; who knows in the future), not because I don't like him, but because I don't think his books are for me. I'm fantasy and romance kind of gal, and John Green doesn't really write within that genre. But now I can say that I have read a John Green bookand that I liked it.

P.S. My video review on this book will be up Monday, October 15th.

Yours,

Labels: , , , , ,